Website Usage Frequently Asked Questions

What enhancements have been made to the website?
  • Improved visual layout
  • Ability to increase or decrease font size for easier reading
  • Rotatable display for mobile devices
  • Collapsible sections of text
  • Improved PSC Calendar functionalities
  • Vastly improved search function
  • Organized Mega Menu

How can I make a filing with the Public Service Commission of the District of Columbia?

Our offices, located at 1325 G St NW, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20005, is open Monday-Friday from 9:00 a.m. -5:30 p.m. for walk-in inquiries, meetings, filings, and/or deliveries.  You can make a filing with the PSC by electronically filing it through eDocket (user id and password required) or mailing it to the PSC. 

All filings should be made to the attention of Brinda Westbrook-Sedgwick, Commission Secretary.  For instructions on how to obtain a user id and password for the eDocket system, please click here.  If you have any additional questions, please contact the Office of the Commission Secretary at (202) 626-5150.

How do I contact the Public Service Commission or specific staff members?

Commission contact information is available here. The employee directory is here.

Additionally, you can contact the Commission via the Contact Us button. We will route your request to the appropriate office for processing of your comment or request.

What about Employment Opportunities? How does one go about applying for available positions within the Public Service Commission?

A list of positions for which recruitment is active is provided under Employment Opportunities. If there is a vacancy number for the position, the vacancy announcement can be accessed by clicking on the title of the position. This link will redirect you to the DC Government application form on the website of the DC Department of Human Resources (DCHR).

How do I navigate the Public Service Commission of the District of Columbia Website?

You can navigate the Public Service Commission of the District of Columbia website using any popular browser, including Internet Explorer (IE) version 11 or Google Chrome. The website is also accessible through mobile browsers and the DCPSC (iOS) or PSC on the Go (Android) mobile apps.

Which documents will I need to view using Adobe Acrobat Reader?

You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view many of the documents which are stored in Portable Document (PDF) format, including Press Releases, Orders and Docketed Pleadings. Other documents will be in the format of Word, Excel or PowerPoint, all of which are part of the Microsoft Office Suite.

What do I need to know about downloading PDF files?

If you already have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed in your browser, those Commission documents which are made available in Portable Document Format (PDF) will download automatically. Please note that some of these documents are large and will take some time to download.

Where can I get Adobe Acrobat Reader?

The Adobe Acrobat Reader software is free. Click the Adobe Acrobat Reader icon below to download the software, and follow instructions to install the software.

Adobe Reader

How do I enlarge the viewing size of a PDF document if the document is hard to read?

Use the plus and minus icons if you need to enlarge or shrink the text size.

Enlarge/Shrink Button

What do I need to know about online forms?

Some of the forms can be filled out and submitted online. Examples are the Consumer Complaint and Inquiry Form and the Outreach Activity Request Form.