History

history-banner.jpg

The Public Service Commission of the District of Columbia was established by Congress in 1913 as an independent District government agency to regulate the electric, natural gas and telephone companies serving the city.

Browse the archived events publications below to learn more about our history.

Publications and presentations
To celebrate its 100th anniversary, the DCPSC published “The First Hundred Years Protecting the Public Interest, 1913-2013,” a retrospective book that debuted on March 18, 2016, with a panel discussion featuring DCPSC Commissioners and other historians. Additionally, the DCPSC held a centennial anniversary symposium at Gallaudet University on March 15, 2013, and presented at the D.C. Historical Society on November 15-16, 2013.

Former DCPSC Executive Director Dr. Phylicia Fauntleroy Bowman also presented on the history of diversity at the Commission and among local utility companies at the D.C. Historical Society in November 2014.

History of electric, gas and local telecommunications regulation in D.C.